Senior Software Engineer - Frontend
An ode to our Senior Frontend Engineers 🌹
To us, you are like Leonardo da Vinci. A scientist, an artist, an engineer, a theorist, sculptor and architect. Out of your creative mind sprang a desire to understand how things work behind the scenes.
It’s a little like fractals in nature. There is a mysterious mathematical complexity behind them, but most people only see a pretty pattern. You, dear frontender, see the link between them. You are interested in the mathematics underneath the beauty, you want to understand why the mathematics produces something that is beautiful, and you have appreciation for the thing that is beautiful.
You tackle complex technical challenges and create elegant solutions for our end users. You work closely with our Designers and Product Managers to create the user experience – and you never just get handed a design without having key creative input. You constantly build reusable components for the entire system. You are excited by making a dropdown menu that solves for any kind of use cases we might want to create in the UI. You do all this not just by being a master of your craft, but by taking ownership and leading on large projects such as product launches. Mostly, we look up to you and learn from you, because you set the standard for the team, not just in code but in culture too.
In short, you blow our minds every single day 😍
The actual job post part:
As a Senior Frontend Engineer on the Core Experience team, you will be the technical lead and chief architect for features that touch on almost every part of the Pleo product.
The Core Experience team wants to drive a comprehensive, high quality, and unified product experience that encourages trust in spending and empowers more people with Pleo. This is no small feat and to accomplish this, you will be involved early in the ideation process, in quickly prototyping solutions, in driving core development work within the team and you will be responsible for managing projects across several Product teams in Pleo.
We're looking for someone who has the following qualities:
- You care deeply about your craft and about quality
- You care deeply about product and design
- You are proactive and confident your skills
- You can work in a lean environment
- You can organise work across teams
- You are comfortable working in a multidisciplinary environment, and especially comfortable working with designers
You will be responsible for taking project end-to-end from ideation to delivery and for stewarding efforts that involve two or more product teams across the organization.
To complement your personal qualities, we expect that …
You know your way around:
- Component-based, declarative UIs (we use React)
- Accessibility in web apps
- CSS-in-JS (we use styled-components)
- Linting and testing frameworks (we use Jest + RTL and Cypress)
- Static types (we use TypeScript)
- Data fetching and mutations (we use tRPC, SWR)
- Tooling for frontend teams and shared component systems (we use Storybook)
- Internationalisation/i18n (we use LinguiJS
Your colleagues say you
- Work in English with ease (it's our company language)
- Never stop being curious and love learning about new languages/ frameworks/ working styles
- Accidentally start sentences with npm because you’re so used to typing it
- Evangelise ES6, ECMAScript 2018, ES2022, or know better than we do what the newest standard is
- Have experience solving complex technical challenges at scale
- Ensure a high bar for quality and reliability on your team
- Coach others on your team to help them develop as engineers
- Advocate for a more thorough code review process than a quick scroll to the bottom of the page and a “LGTM!”
- You don’t just write code, you help to design the overall solution
- Would be a person that they would actually like to have a coffee with (virtual or not)
- Somehow find a way to debate the merits of server vs client side rendering in that aforementioned coffee chat
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - whether you are working remote or at one of our offices 🍜
- Private Health Insurance to ensure you’re fit of body and mind to do your best work
- Flexible work: working from home when you want, where you want, why you want to (we trust you)
- Trips abroad for team camps. This year we went to Croatia - we'd love to see you at the next one!
- 25 days of holiday per year + your local public holidays
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶🏻
- €2500 annual Flex Benefits budget (maybe you want to buy additional holidays, pay for the gym, book a professional coach or pay part of your MBA - completely up to you!). We know everybody prioritizes different benefits. So, our Flex Benefits package lets you choose what best suits you. Ask us about what we offer, we’ll be happy to outline more!
Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc - we'll help (venue, food etc)
See how we think about frontend with this article from one of our engineers, Will, here:
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Our mission is to help every company go beyond the books. Pleo itself means ‘more than you’d expect’, and it’s been the secret to our success over the last 8 years. So it’s only fitting that we’d pass this philosophy onto our customers to help them make the most of their finances.
We think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Finance teams shouldn’t be siloed from the rest of the organisation – they should work in unity with marketing, sales, IT and everyone else.
Speaking of working in unity, our values tell the story of how we work at Pleo. We have four core values, the first of which is ‘champion the customer’, which means we address real pain points that businesses face. Next up is ‘succeed as a team’, which highlights how our strength lies in our diversity and trust in each other. We also ‘make it happen’ by taking bold decisions and following through to deliver results. Last but not least, we ‘build to scale’, creating lasting solutions that address today’s challenges and anticipate tomorrow’s needs.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 850+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal and Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us, we'll help you set up the best remote setup possible and make sure you still have time to connect with your team.
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.
Got any questions?Read our FAQ
Apply for this role
We’re looking for new friends, gifted minds, team players, restless talents and passionate problem solvers.
Some more roles for you...
And it doesn’t stop there. Why not have a browse at our other open roles in this department?
How Pleo hires
The first call(s)
Let’s get to know each other. We want to find out more about you, your motivations, and give you more information about the role.
The task is deliberately open-ended and based on something you'll actually work on. There are no right or wrong answers here.
The team interview
Expect to share a (virtual) meeting room with two to three people you'll work with regularly if you get the job.
The final interview
A call with someone in leadership who’ll walk you through the big picture and chat about how your role will figure into that.
This is a big decision for both of us. If you join us, we’ll spend a lot of time together working on some pretty cool things. That's why we've designed a hiring process that allows everyone to make the right choice. Read more about how we hire here.