Senior Legal Counsel/Team Lead
Pleo's vision is to make everyone feel valued at work; we are on a mission to become the go-to spending solution for forward-thinking teams everywhere 🎉
We are creating a product to facilitate business spending through a simple solution for everyone involved: employees, the finance controller, the bookkeeper, and managers. No. More. Receipts! 💳
On the technical side, we’re pleased to say FinTech is not just a brand for us; it's who we are: Pleo is both an e-money institution with a licence issued by the Danish Financial Supervisory Authority and a technology company developing payment services solutions striving to deliver “more than the expected” (the actual meaning of the name Pleo).
In this role, you’ll be an integral part of our Insights & Acceleration Domain, working closely with finance, venture development and engineering colleagues to enable business growth, scalability and key strategic initiatives to drive accelerated and sustainable growth. As Senior Legal Counsel, Team Lead you will be a trusted advisor and business partner across multiple areas, particularly using your corporate law and transactional expertise applying your knowledge and understanding of navigating in a regulated environment.
As this is a new role, you will have a unique opportunity to scope out how to approach the opportunities ahead.
So, what's Legal at Pleo like?
The Legal Competence shares a vision to enable and empower Pleo to switch execution-based and sustainable decisions. This means that you will focus on reducing ambiguity, taking out excessive complexity, and empowering all stakeholders to balance risk and reward in a clear, concise and actionable manner.
We are a nimble team in a scale-up, so your day-to-day responsibilities will also include a wide variety of legal areas in close collaboration with your colleagues in Legal and our Compliance Team, e.g. with our products, our people, commercial contracts, regulatory reporting, and audits. As Team Lead, you will be accountable for the day-to-day delivery, collaboration, streamlining and prioritisation of the Team (5 people including you) to achieve our business outcomes. The Legal Competence consists of 7 people today, sitting in Copenhagen HQ and around Europe. We are open for you to work remotely (within EU/UK timezone +/- 2 hours).
What success looks like in this role...
- As an integral part of the cross-functional Insights & Acceleration Domain (legal, finance, engineering and venture development), you have significantly contributed to the definition, design and delivery of Pleo’s key strategic initiatives.
- 6 months down the road, you will have designed and completed an improvement of Pleo’s legal and corporate structure in close collaboration with your colleagues from finance following a roadmap orchestrated and driven by you.
- You have taken ownership and drive legal work-streams (and beyond) of special projects within our Insights & Acceleration Domain as well as work closely with the Legal Team in supporting other Domains.
- You inspire others to collaborate effectively and feel connected with the team. You create trustful and safe environments by role-modelling vulnerability.
- You have laid a foundation to forecast and predict future needs in terms of resources and systems within the Legal Competence.
You’ll thrive in this role if you...
- Have a Danish master's degree in law or business administration and commercial law - this is actually more of a requirement 😉
- Have demonstrated experience working with transactions and corporate law in the Nordics (if it’s in a start-up or scale-up, we’ll be thrilled!).
- Have a mix of law firm and in-house counsel experience.
- Are comfortable and adept at balancing risk and opportunity and thinking creatively to enable your colleagues to make smart decisions.
- Are a strong strategic player with excellent problem solving skills
- Have experience advising or navigating in regulated companies, e.g. fintech, banks, private equity firms, pension funds or the energy sector.
- Have experience structuring and executing special projects across multiple jurisdictions.
- Have experience leading a team or a cross-competence long-term project.
- Enjoy the freedom to engage and advise multiple different competencies across Pleo.
Your Colleagues Say You:
- Speak perfect English (this is our company language) 🇬🇧
- Are a true legal wizard with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Have an eye for scalability and operational efficiency.
- Provide recommendations that are clear and actionable to people without your expertise.
- Thrive by working with minimal direction and supervision.
- Lead by example to inspire others.
- Host the best learning sessions 🎓
- Have excellent communication skills - even their aunt would understand when you talk about your field.
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - whether you are working remote or at one of our offices 🍜
- Private Health Insurance to ensure you’re fit of body and mind to do your best work
- Flexible work: working from home when you want, where you want, why you want to (we trust you)
- Trips abroad for team camps. Last year we went to Croatia - we'd love to see you at the next one!
- 25 days of holiday per year + your local public holidays
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶🏻
- €2500 annual Flex Benefits budget (maybe you want to buy additional holidays, pay for the gym, book a professional coach or pay part of your MBA - completely up to you!). We know everybody prioritises different benefits. So, our Flex Benefits package lets you choose what best suits you. Ask us about what we offer, we’ll be happy to outline more!
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 800+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, or Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible and will fly you in for our amazing team camps ✈️
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.
Got any questions?Read our FAQ
Apply for this role
We’re looking for new friends, gifted minds, team players, restless talents and passionate problem solvers.
Some more roles for you...
And it doesn’t stop there. Why not have a browse at our other open roles in this department?
How Pleo hires
The first call(s)
Let’s get to know each other. We want to find out more about you, your motivations, and give you more information about the role.
The task is deliberately open-ended and based on something you'll actually work on. There are no right or wrong answers here.
The team interview
Expect to share a (virtual) meeting room with two to three people you'll work with regularly if you get the job.
The final interview
A call with someone in leadership who’ll walk you through the big picture and chat about how your role will figure into that.