Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime to jumpstart your engineering career!
Our junior engineers at Pleo get to work on exciting projects that directly impact the customer and Pleo’s overall company trajectory. No sitting around making tiny one-line of text code changes for endless months here, we empower all our engineers – including our junior engineers – with a sense of ownership and autonomy sought after in a modern tech company.
Did we mention that you’ll learn from some of the best? Pleo is a Fintech unicorn. We didn’t get that way by accident. As a junior engineer, you’ll get to work alongside and be mentored by our talented team of engineers who are experts in high-performing, large-scale, distributed systems.
We’re looking for someone who has done some coding before – an internship or bootcamp, for example – and who is excited to jump in and learn quickly. Pleo operates in a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
While our industry is competitive, we aim to be collaborative within engineering so we can all rise further together. As such, we’re looking for someone who brings a customer focus to what they build and has collaboration skills in how they build it.
We’re up for it, are you?
You know your way around
- RESTful API design best practices
- Server-side languages (e.g. Kotlin)
- Relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- Testing (e.g. JUnit)
Your peers would say you
- Work in English with ease (it's our company language)
- Never stop being curious and love learning about new tech
- Seek feedback so you can learn and grow
- You don’t just write code, you think about the customer and help to design the overall solution
Show me the Benefits
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - with catering in our Lisbon, Copenhagen and London offices or a monthly lunch allowance paid directly together with your salary in other markets 🍜
- Private health insurance to ensure you’re fit in body and mind to do your best work
- We offer 25 days of holiday + your public holidays (Subject to location sometimes)
- Option to purchase 5 additional days of holiday through a salary sacrifice
- Wellbeing days - fully paid days off designed for a slower pace, allowing you to take time to recharge and prioritise self-care
- We’re trialling MyndUp to give our employees access to free mental health and wellbeing support with great success so far ❤️🩹
- Access to LinkedIn Learning - acquire new skills, stay abreast of industry trends and fuel your personal and professional development continuously
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶
- All of us have a stake in Pleo’s success - ask us about our equity grant scheme
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Our mission is to help every company go beyond the books. Pleo itself means ‘more than you’d expect’, and it’s been the secret to our success over the last 8 years. So it’s only fitting that we’d pass this philosophy onto our customers to help them make the most of their finances.
We think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Finance teams shouldn’t be siloed from the rest of the organisation – they should work in unity with marketing, sales, IT and everyone else.
Speaking of working in unity, our values tell the story of how we work at Pleo. We have four core values, the first of which is ‘champion the customer’, which means we address real pain points that businesses face. Next up is ‘succeed as a team’, which highlights how our strength lies in our diversity and trust in each other. We also ‘make it happen’ by taking bold decisions and following through to deliver results. Last but not least, we ‘build to scale’, creating lasting solutions that address today’s challenges and anticipate tomorrow’s needs.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 850+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal and Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us, we'll help you set up the best remote setup possible and make sure you still have time to connect with your team.
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.
Got any questions?Read our FAQ
Apply for this role
We’re looking for new friends, gifted minds, team players, restless talents and passionate problem solvers.
Some more roles for you...
And it doesn’t stop there. Why not have a browse at our other open roles in this department?
How Pleo hires
The first call(s)
Let’s get to know each other. We want to find out more about you, your motivations, and give you more information about the role.
The task is deliberately open-ended and based on something you'll actually work on. There are no right or wrong answers here.
The team interview
Expect to share a (virtual) meeting room with two to three people you'll work with regularly if you get the job.
The final interview
A call with someone in leadership who’ll walk you through the big picture and chat about how your role will figure into that.