Pleo solves today's company spending problem. We empower companies with an app that links up to pre-paid cards. Every person gets a card and is trusted with spending company money. After all, if you're trusted enough to be hired, you should be trusted enough to spend money responsibly.
At Pleo, design matters
From how we build our product to how we tell our story, design is a foundational principle and pulses through the veins of our company. Have a look for yourself – pleo.design. Because of this, we value designers who are great not just because they can create "striking graphics" – which is a big part of it – but because they can explain why and how they got there, creating work that has a tangible impact beyond looking pretty.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but then again, it wasn't destroyed in one either. Just because you have a good culture doesn't mean you should take it for granted, the group of individuals all rowing in the same direction feels like something magical, and you almost forget you work in a B2B financial s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶u̶p̶ scaleup, but if you don't take care of it, it will go away just as quickly, and then you are back to the reality of just being another one working on some financial software as a service, great. 💀
Who we're looking for
Standing strong with an already established design team, you'll take on the role of VP of Design. This person will grow and inspire – genuinely caring about the well-being of their team (both personally and professionally) while being a leader who ensures that Design (Brand, Content Design, DesignOps, User Research and Product Design) continues to play a vital role in Pleo's long-term success. You'll need a critical eye and a mind that understands where process is necessary and where it's a hindrance, keeping us moving forward and forever evolving.
Reporting to our Chief Product Officer, you will also be responsible for
- Leading Design as a competence across Pleo
Everyone at Pleo has a competence (which defines their skills, craft and career path). As our competence owner for Design, you will lead the way in leveling up the design org by hiring the right people and developing processes, people, structures etc. You will work closely with our other VP Design, who will continue to focus on driving the design direction of the product across Pleo
- Driving a culture of ownership, accountability and autonomy
You will work in the operating model where creativity, ownership and speed are critical
- Driving customer centricity company-wide
You understand that our true purpose is to build a great experience for our customers, and you care and demonstrate this in your day-to-day decisions
- Inspiring exceptional and diverse teams of world-class talent
We are currently 40+ people across the Product Design, User Research and Brand Design teams. You will lead a passionate team spread across our offices in Europe, Canada and remote. We're looking for someone who doesn't just understand different cultures and backgrounds but is also inspired by them
We believe you'll thrive in this role if you
- Are a charismatic design leader. You bring design considerations to leadership and key strategic initiatives across the company, ensuring we use Design as an advantage, driving Pleo and its mission forward
- Tend to invest in deeply understanding your problem areas/users to inspire new and improved ways of designing UI/UX features, further developing our brand design and how we approach user research
- Are customer obsessed and understand the importance of having a customer-focused mindset when making decisions
- Have experience in scaling design teams within hyper-growth organisations with people-centric values
- Care deeply about individuals as human beings – we focus on authentic leadership a lot
- Love learning and can rally people around you to try new things with you
Show me the Benefits
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!) 💳
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between the east coast of the Americas to European timezones)or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, Stockholm, London, Madrid, Berlin, Lisbon)
- Lunch is on us - whether you are working remote or at one of our offices 🍜
- Private Health Insurance to ensure you're fit of body and mind to do your best work
- Trips abroad for team camps. This year we went to Croatia - we'd love to see you at the next one!
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶🏻
- €2500 annual Flex Benefits budget. We know everybody prioritises different benefits. So, our Flex Benefits package lets you choose what best suits you. Maybe you want to buy additional holidays, pay for the gym or book a professional coach - it's entirely up to you. Ask us about what we offer, and we'll be happy to outline more.
- Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending.
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 800+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, or Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible and will fly you in for our amazing team camps ✈️
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.
Got any questions?Read our FAQ
Apply for this role
We’re looking for new friends, gifted minds, team players, restless talents and passionate problem solvers.
Some more roles for you...
And it doesn’t stop there. Why not have a browse at our other open roles in this department?
How Pleo hires
The first call(s)
Let’s get to know each other. We want to find out more about you, your motivations, and give you more information about the role.
The task is deliberately open-ended and based on something you'll actually work on. There are no right or wrong answers here.
The team interview
Expect to share a (virtual) meeting room with two to three people you'll work with regularly if you get the job.
The final interview
A call with someone in leadership who’ll walk you through the big picture and chat about how your role will figure into that.