Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Growth. It’s a pretty big word around the Pleo’sphere right now. And when we say growth, we really mean it - we’re planning to double our team over the coming year.
Wowzas. It sounds pretty ambitious when you write it down like that. And why do we need to grow so much? Well because we set ourselves a target of reaching 1 million active users by 2025…..
Good grief! What are we doing to ourselves? Well we’re shooting for the moon! It’s pretty exciting stuff, but it’s also pretty daunting, and that’s where you come in.
Engineers are the backbone of all we do at Pleo. Without these wildly brilliant people, we don’t have a thing. And with all this growth we are looking for some wicked talented Senior Backend Engineers to support and lead our product in some pretty exciting (and experimental!) directions.
This means finding people who know server-side languages like the back of their hand. People who devour cloud environments for breakfast, have dipped a toe (even jumped right in) to DevOps, and who delve into relational databases and shell scripting like it aint no thang.
But it’s not just about being a master of your craft, it’s about ownership, and taking the lead on large projects such as product launches, managing migrations, and building core components used across the company. Sometimes it gets a bit crazy over here, so you might need to whip that compass out to navigate ambiguity and manage scope - the team will look to you to create a clear path forward.
Mostly, we’re looking for people others can look up to and learn from - you’ll set the standard for the team, not just in code but in culture too. At Pleo our culture is pretty special to us, and we value trust and transparency like you wouldn’t believe. Plus, you know, we want to enjoy what we do and who we are working with because duh.
We’re up for it, are you?
You know your way around
- Server-side languages (we mostly use Kotlin and TypeScript but we know you can learn new languages)
- Cloud environments/ distributed systems/ microservices (AWS, Google Cloud, Kubernetes)
- Relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB, Spanner)
- Testing frameworks (Cypress, JUnit, Testcontainers)
- Observability and monitoring (Datadog)
- DevOps culture and tools (GitHub Actions, Gradle, Terraform)
Your colleagues would say you
- Work in English with ease (it's our company language)
- Know that Go is more than a board game
- Never stop being curious and love learning about new languages/ frameworks/ working styles
- Have experience solving complex technical challenges at scale
- Ensure a high bar for quality and reliability on your team
- Coach others on your team to help them develop as engineers
- Advocate for a more thorough code review process than a quick scroll to the bottom of the page and a “LGTM!”
- You don’t just write code, you help to design the overall solution
- Would be a person that they would actually like to have a coffee with (virtual or not)
Show me the benefits
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending)
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between east coast of the Americas to European timezones)......or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Madrid, Lisbon, or Montreal)
- Yearly trips to somewhere for team camps (both company-wide ones and team-specific ones).The last one was in Costa Brava (Barcelona) last September.
- Investment in learning & developing (just check with your team for what’s reasonable, we don’t have set budgets)
And here are some other nice gestures that we do
- Sponsored lunch
- 25 days holidays (annual)
- Loads of weird and wonderful niche communities to join in the company (we’re talking guerrilla gardening, liquids tasting, the Pleo band, learning to code initiatives, beer brewing, skiing, that type of thing)
- Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc - we’ll help (venue, food, etc.)
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 800+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, or Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible and will fly you in for our amazing team camps ✈️
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.
Got any questions?Read our FAQ
Apply for this role
We’re looking for new friends, gifted minds, team players, restless talents and passionate problem solvers.
Some more roles for you...
And it doesn’t stop there. Why not have a browse at our other open roles in this department?
How Pleo hires
The first call(s)
Let’s get to know each other. We want to find out more about you, your motivations, and give you more information about the role.
The task is deliberately open-ended and based on something you'll actually work on. There are no right or wrong answers here.
The team interview
Expect to share a (virtual) meeting room with two to three people you'll work with regularly if you get the job.
The final interview
A call with someone in leadership who’ll walk you through the big picture and chat about how your role will figure into that.